Relative Permit

Applications for permanent residency in South Africa are considered in terms of Section 26 (Direct Residency Permits) and Section 27 (Residency-on-Other-Grounds Permits) of the Immigration Act 2002 (Act No 13 of 2002), and read with Regulation 33 of the Immigration Regulations.

Relative Permit

bigstock Happy Family 4072153

Now that you have your Relatives visa, you may have some options available to you for permanent residency!You may qualify for Direct Residency if you are one of the following:Section 26(c):
·      If you are under 18 years old; AND
·      Your parent is a South African Citizen or Permanent residentSection 26(d):
·      If you are over 18 years old; AND
·      Your parent is a South African citizen.Please note that you will need to consider Permanent Residency under the below sections if you are:
·      Over 18 and your parent is a Permanent Resident, not a South African citizen;
·      If the South African citizen/Permanent Resident under whom you are applying is not your parent.
You may qualify for Residency on Other Grounds under Section 27(g) if:
·      You are a relative, within the first step of kinship, of a South African citizen or permanent resident.Please note that to qualify under this section the South Africa relative must be one of the below:
·      Your father;
·      Your mother;
·      Your child;

Please take note that in terms of a recent law change parents of South African children who are not yet 18 will now be able to make application for permanent residency as the financial assurance previously preventing such applications has been waived. This does create room for incorrect rejections, and all relevant documentation to avoid this will need to be included in your pack.

Frequently asked questions:

In the case of foreign countries that do not issue unabridged birth certificates, a letter to this effect issued by the competent authority of the foreign country should be produced.

All documents should be originals or certified copies thereof.

Police Clearances:

Police clearances are required for all long stay visa types (ie any stay in South Africa longer than 3 months).

Contact us for advice on which police clearances you will need to secure and how to go about getting the certificate.

Contact us

Drop us a line or give us a ring. We love to hear from you and are happy to answer any questions.
64 Waterfall Avenue Craighall
+27 76 886 1181