Applications for permanent residency in South Africa are considered in terms of Section 26 (Direct Residency Permits) and Section 27 (Residency-on-Other-Grounds Permits) of the Immigration Act 2002 (Act No 13 of 2002), and read with Regulation 33 of the Immigration Regulations.

Appeals Applications

signature contract person signin

There are a number of reasons an application may be rejected by the Department of Home Affairs. For instance, applicants may have failed to submit required and essential supporting documents or have mistakenly applied under the wrong category. In other instances, rejections can be received as a result of incorrect adjudication by an official and can be sent for appeal or review on those grounds. Smith & Co will guide and assist you with all appeal applications. Contact us for assistance today!

Undesirability Appeal Applications

With the change in Immigration laws, many people have found themselves declared undesirable due to an intentional or unintended overstay in the country. This essentially means that persons who breach the terms of their visas, such as staying longer than authorised to do so in terms of their visas, are being prohibited from returning to South Africa for a period of 1 to 5 years, depending on the severity of their breach and length of their overstay.

We shall assist you in appealing your undesirability status and advise on how to avoid this happening to you.


The Immigration Laws in South Africa dictate that one must apply for the renewal of a visa or change of conditions to a visa no less than 60 days before the expiry of their visa.

As life and circumstance often get in the way, applicants find themselves within the period, or worse, with expired visas and prohibited from making application at the VFS centres in South Africa.We can assist you in this regard. Contact us for more information on this service.

Unabridged Birth Certificates

image 10

In terms of the recent, controversial, travel laws in this regard, we assist applicants with securing unabridged birth certificates required when travelling both in and out of South Africa.

Please take note that you must travel with the following documents if travelling with a minor child:

  • A valid passport for the child; and
  • The child’s unabridged birth certificate. (An unabridged birth certificate is a birth certificate reflecting the particulars of both parents of the child.)

If the child is only travelling with one parent you will also require:

  • Consent from the absent parent in the form of an affidavit (not older than three months, from the date of travel); or
  • A court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal guardian of the child; or
  • Where applicable, a death certificate of the other parent registered as a parent of the child on the birth certificate; or
  • A court order whether the other parent does not give consent.

Frequently asked questions:

In the case of foreign countries that do not issue unabridged birth certificates, a letter to this effect issued by the competent authority of the foreign country should be produced.

All documents should be originals or certified copies thereof.

Police Clearances:

Police clearances are required for all long stay visa types (ie any stay in South Africa longer than 3 months).

Contact us for advice on which police clearances you will need to secure and how to go about getting the certificate.

Contact us

Drop us a line or give us a ring. We love to hear from you and are happy to answer any questions.
64 Waterfall Avenue Craighall
+27 76 886 1181