Applications for permanent residency in South Africa are considered in terms of Section 26 (Direct Residency Permits) and Section 27 (Residency-on-Other-Grounds Permits) of the Immigration Act 2002 (Act No 13 of 2002), and read with Regulation 33 of the Immigration Regulations.


120701124539 naturalization 8 story top

Applications for naturalisation may only be received by the DHA if the applicant has been on a Permanent Residence Permit for a period of five (5) years from the date of obtaining Permanent Residence (PR) in the Republic of South Africa.

No application may be received by the office if the applicant has less than the prescribed five (5) year period. The period of ordinary residence is a continuous 5 years – permitted to leave RSA for 90 days in a year during the 5 year period of ordinary residence. 90 days does not accumulate if applicant did not leave RSA in a particular year.Time spent outside RSA in service of government is taken as time spent in RSA.

Frequently asked questions:

In the case of foreign countries that do not issue unabridged birth certificates, a letter to this effect issued by the competent authority of the foreign country should be produced.

All documents should be originals or certified copies thereof.

Police Clearances:

Police clearances are required for all long stay visa types (ie any stay in South Africa longer than 3 months).

Contact us for advice on which police clearances you will need to secure and how to go about getting the certificate.

Contact us

Drop us a line or give us a ring. We love to hear from you and are happy to answer any questions.
64 Waterfall Avenue Craighall
+27 76 886 1181